Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday update

It all started Friday with getting on the scale. Bad idea. Then we had friends over that evening, which leads to eating. Saturday wasn't so bad...I got my workout in. Sunday wasn't great..it started well, then progressed to a Starbucks iced mocha..which I didn't drink all of because I was kicking myself...so then I went for a run...which really only lasted 12 minutes because my knee started hurting (my body doesn't like to run lately). But I did keep walking for another 10 minutes or so. Then we had a potluck/meeting at church so you can imagine the food spread there. Anyway, I figured that obviously my less than 100% clean eating is sabotaging my workout efforts. It just seems so strange to me that when I first started Body for Life, the weight consistently came off for weeks and weeks. Now I seem to be stuck in a weight rut no matter how much I change my workouts or how well I eat. At least this is what I'd like to think. Deep down inside I know that my eating has been a little lax every day, even though in general all the extra bites have been healthy foods. Then I get on the scale...don't see the number I want to see, so then I kind of throw in the towel and eat bad foods here and there. To some degree I really want to stop obsessing about food. I really don't like to obsess about anything. I'm a type B personality, so obsessing and perfecting are just not in my nature. However, it takes a good deal of planning (aka obsessing) to eat right.
I'm irritated that I'm up 8 pounds from Cabo last year, and Cabo is only 116 days away. I'd like to lose 10-12 pounds before going, which means I need to get my butt in gear.

So I've decided I am starting a challenge today! It's going to be a 17 week challenge, since that is how many weeks until Cabo. However, I am going to take Thanksgiving week off, and Christmas to New Years off. I'm going to check in and document what I'm eating, calories lost during workouts etc. Mostly because I think it will help keep me accountable...not really that all you want to read all that boring stuff :) I am going to take 1 free day a week. Or if something comes up during the week, I will take a couple of free meals (although I've found this doesn't work all that well for me...I really need a whole day!!!) So we'll see how it goes. I need some accountability, so feel free to call me out if you see things slipping. I'll take measurements tomorrow and weigh myself.

On another note, my new watch is getting smarter. It has figured out that my activity level is not a 5 like I had told it (which is like working out 1-2 hours a week). It has bumped that up to a 7. It is also getting harder to get to "fitness level" of 5 on the scale from 1-5. Last week I would do my TT and about 1/2 way through the cardio I'd already be at a level 5. Well today, thinking that this would be the same, I got done with my 22 minutes of cardio (I even did a little extra), and went to stretch, then saw that my fitness level was only a 4.7. Dang it...it's figuring me out. This is great really because your body does adapt to whatever exercise you are doing, and now I will have to work harder longer to get to the level 5.

4 comments:

Tam said...

Hey Kristen! Thanks for stopping by today. So it looks like we're gonna have to meet now. Would I know you if I saw you? Hmmm, the mystery!

Noticed in your profile you like Jon McLoghlin - He has been in my cars disc player for over a month now! Cut 2 and 11 are my faves...at the moment!

Have a great day!
Tam

Anna said...

What is this amazing watch you have? I'm quite curious!

Kristen said...

Kristen, I had the same problem this weekend. I was doing quite well until I weighed myself and wasn't thrilled, so I gave into temptation a little. Sunday, I was back on though, and now I will be good throughout this week.

I have a regular ol' heart rate monitor, but now I want one like yours. Maybe I can start dropping hints for a nice Christmas gift.

Good luck with your 17 week plan. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Lindsay said...

Way to go Kristen! I'll be rooting for you. I have been working on the dreaded last 5 pounds since August.....if that tells you anything :) So this is motivational for me, too!