Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Clothes shopping woes

So tonight I was without my dear kiddos (thank you Grandma). I decided it would be good to get out of the house, and I really need some winter clothes. Retail therapy is one of my favorites. I've made a pact to myself not just to buy clothes because their a good deal, but to buy clothes that look great and are good quality....and not worry so much about the price. I've gotten in a rut of buying a lot of clothes that are just okay, but not great...spending more money on junk than if I had bought several classic, great looking items at a higher price. Anyway, so I forewarned DH that I was going clothes shopping and asked him what my budget was. He said he trusted me to spend an appropriate amount without going overboard. I was all excited, and decided to start out at Old Navy. I tried some things on, but nothing looked right. Then I headed to the mall. I tried on at least 15 pairs of jeans from $24.99 to $98.00. Nothing! Nothing looked right. I happen to hold a good majority of my fat right around my middle, so the pants have to come far enough up as to not have 'the cup runneth over'. Can they just make jeans that are a little higher rise, don't hug your thighs..you know..like a straight leg...not made for a 16 year old body with no hips and thighs like pencils. I feel like I am pretty well proportioned...what the heck. Anyway, to boot, all tops this season are either made to make you look pregnant, or made to look like a mini-dress for which you need leggings, and I just can't seem to go there at 30.

So I spent $0 dollars...okay, I did buy dinner at subway because I had gone 5 hours without eating...I know bad bad bad.

Now I'm moping. I guess I'll be wearing my black velour sweatsuit all winter long.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Express jeans. I think they usually run about $59.50. I only have one pair, but they are a great pair. Perfect rise for me...high enough to tuck in my tummy, but low enough to not be considered mom jeans.

Another great pair of jeans I have came from Gap...the Long and Lean line. About $50.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Ok, but you look so cute in your black velour outfit :-)!

Lindsay said...

I know what you mean about the maternity style tops for non pregnant women. You have to be super tall and stick thin to look cute in them.

I just got a pair of jeans at Sears, they were Canyon View Modern fit straight and they are a little bit low rise, but for me that's good cause I have a short torso. I also have short legs and they come in short sizes so I really like them. They have cute detail on the back pockets. And the best part is that they were $18.

Good luck in your search....it can be tough!

Carrie said...

I live in Levi Strauss, 515 or 545 boot cut lower rise are my faves (although my latest two pairs of 515's are interesting- the darker pair seems to have a higher waist, which is driving me nuts). Old Navy jeans are whacked out, and even if you choose two same sizes of the same pair they may fit differently.

I'm with Kristen on finding pairs that tuck the "mommy tummy" but are low enough that you don't feel them digging into the belly button!