Monday, November 5, 2007

Improving??

Today was a busy day...well, compared to the last 3 days. This morning while getting ready for my appt, I had a major vertigo spell, proceeded to get very nauseated, and had to lay down for a bit. Then, I had my eye doctor appt, and this doctor took a very quick look at my eyes and declared everything look good. So I asked if he saw anything under the flap under my right eye (the other doctor on Saturday had to lift my eyelid a bit to get a good look, and this doctor did no eyelid lifting), and he said well ya, but the swelling is really improved....from what the other doctor documented. This sounded a little fishy to me as I don't know how you document the degree of swelling in a flap of super thin tissue. That's just the nurse in me, and I'm not an eye doctor so whatever. So then I mentioned that the other doctor had mentioned that I might need to have this piece of fiber removed if it remained there. This doctor said, nah, it's not in your line of vision, we wouldn't worry about it. Mmmm, okay. I had mentioned upon arriving that I felt miserable with vertigo and nausea and he said, you must have the flu or some kind of but, it's definitely not because of your eyes. Mmmm, okay. So as soon as we got home I had DH make an appt with my regular doctor, and they got me in within 2 hours....well I had to wait an hour and 1/2 before actually seeing the doctor, but he apologized profusely, and is super nice, so I forgave him. At first he questioned what anesthesia I had been given for the Lasik, and I said only Ativan, and he asked several times if I was sure. Um, yes, unless they slipped me a quick one without my consent. But, for whatever reason, this didn't seem possible to the doc so he called up the Lasik placed and verified this info, to which they confirmed my story. After ruling out a reaction to anesthesia (especially since I felt fine fine fine on Friday), he then does some listening and looking, and diagnoses me with a middle ear infection (which you cannot actually see in an exam, so really it's more of a guess). He also said my stomach was making absolutely no noise, which is very unusual, so he said whatever virus was affecting my inner ear was also affecting my stomach...I was nauseated. So anyway, he recommended some over the counter motion sickness meds (Meclizine) which he said usually work really well for vertigo. All in all, I did feel encouraged after hearing another doctor say it was NOT my eyes causing these symptoms, and just a crazy coincidence that it happened right after having Lasik. I was getting a little peeved with myself for having an elective surgery for which I did not really research the possible side effects...AND wearing contacts didn't really bother me that much..I was just a contact abuser and I thought that having Lasik would be more beneficial to my eyes than abusing contacts and all the risks that go along with that. It just seems that all the people I knew that had Lasik did just fine. Heck the doctor's wife on Dr. 90201 (ya, I watch it every once in a while...but only when there is nothing else on ) had it done, and my regular eye doctor had recommended it to me, so it had to be safe.
However, I'm not entirely convinced just yet, as I have done some Google searching, and seen some very disconcerting stories about people having disabling chronic vertigo and nausea that mysteriously occurring immediately after having Lasik, accept no one believes that it's from Lasik, and no doctors can figure out how to treat it.....EEEKKKKSSS.

The spinning does seem to have improved over today, and I'm not sure if it's from the meds, or just me getting better. The doctor said the Meclizine usually knocks people out, and I was somewhat hoping for this affect as I'd rather be sleeping than dizzy and nauseated! No such luck, I took the max dose and still managed to stay quite awake. Oh well, at least the world is staying still!! Hoping for no episodes tomorrow!!

Thanks everyone for all your prayers. I appreciate them so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I don't even know where to start. I am so sorry that you're going through this, and I'm worried about you! Ok, so because the mothball is not in your line of vision it's ok to stay IN YOUR EYE? I don't get it. I have never researched Lasik either because I didn't want to know any/all side affects and problems, and I'm quite leery now. The whole vertigo coinciding with Lasik is freaky, too. We continue to pray for you, Sarah drew you a picture, and we love you oh so much. Oh, this tells you how much you're falling apart...we've been talking to the kids for the past week or two about your neck pain, back pain, Lasik surgery, eye pain, so dizzy, nauseated, etc. So Sarah draws you a picture and writes you a note and I come out from getting ready this morning to read it and it says, "Auntie, I hope your back feels better soon." Poor girl, she can't keep up :-). We love you! Please call me if I can take the kids for you ANYTIME, ANYTIME or bring you a coffee or carbohydrates! xoxoxoxo