Monday, September 10, 2007

A cardio epiphany and more...

So, I haven't been making it to the gym as regularly since Aaron started school. I've been working out regularly though, and have actually bought a few things so I can get a good workout in my garage. Anyway, thanks to Turbulence Training I've had a cardio epiphany. Guess what..I do NOT have to do cardio on a boring machine!! Why I never thought of this before can probably be attributed to the moderate cardio fad...where you had to sustain an activity for 30--60 minutes. Hard to do jumping jacks for that long.
Cardio is ANYTHING that brings your heart rate and breathing rate up. Interval cardio is bringing your heart rate way up to nearly your max, then bringing it down, then back up etc. I've discovered that I enjoy doing interval cardio (the only cardio worth doing for fast fat loss in my book) by mixing different activities. My last few interval cardio sessions have consisted of fast jump roping, jumping squats, mountain climbers, and fast jumping jacks. It is really challenging, but so much more fun than the machines at the gym.
Also, the other day my DH made mention that he needed to start jogging or 'something', and I mentioned that he should do cardio with me, to which he agreed...which I was a little surprised at since he usually wants NO part of my exercise stuff. So after I did my TT, I told him I was going to do my cardio (he had been busy disassembling our pool), so he disappears into the house, and much to my surprise, he came back out ready to go. He made it for 13 minutes. Considering he hasn't done any 'exercise' for nearly a year, that was pretty good, and I was just glad that he actually came out there with me.

On another note, I just got done snuggling with my son before bed like I do every night. Tonight when I walked in my room (he was already in his bed), I was holding my neck/shoulder because it was sore. Aaron asks, "mom, why are you holding your arm like that", and I said "oh, it's just a little sore", and he says "oh mom are you okay, do you want me to rub it?". Sweetest boy! I said "sure". So he rubs my shoulder/neck as good as a nearly 6 year old can. The next thing out of his mouth was slighting disturbing. He says, "mom, your skin feels a little loose.....(pause).....do you know why?". I said, "no honey, why". He says in a slightly sympathetc tone "cuz it's getting old". I laughed out loud at this, but deep down inside I'm cringing. OLD?? What, I'm 30....I feel like I'm still 23. OLD??
Now when people see me, they may notice a subconscious hand on the neck checking how taunt the skin is...... is it because I used to have chubby collarbones??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I'm laughing so hard! Actually, what happened is the loose skin you've always had on your feet and hands has made its way to your NECK...your old neck that is, with your old skin. That is too funny! I just love kids' observation. You could not make this stuff up :-)!

Anna said...

Girl, I think all of our necks are losing some "tautness." :) Thanks for the inspiration today!

Christy. said...

I made my way to your blog through Anna's and I noticed that you mentioned Table Rock Fellowship. My brother-in-law is a pastor there. What a small world. Do you go to that church?

Jenna said...

lol - hey it's ironchick and i love your blog:) Kids do say the cutest things - good news - soon your face joins your neck and it blends in again :)