Sunday, July 27, 2008

Spring cleaning in July

Okay, so I guess I'm a little late with the Spring cleaning, and I'm not pregnant so nesting is out of the question! On Friday, Steve informed me that "we" needed to clean the garage out. This was not the most exciting thing I could think of doing on a Saturday afternoon!! Needless to say, we got so much accomplished yesterday!! I wish I had a before picture of the garage. We have these 2 long huge shelves that Steve built when we moved into the house, and they had boxes and bins galore...mixed with all kinds of other stuff. Next to those shelves there was an oozing of other stuff that wouldn't fit on the shelves so it just sat on the ground and moved like an amoeba closer and closer to my parking space. Costco toilet paper, paper towels, kids bikes, scooters, too small kids clothes, worn out toys, shoes, soda, and other stuff that couldn't find a good home all threatened to overtake my brand new car. I decided to start with the gazillion shoes we had in the garage. You know the ones that my dear mother-in-law organizes ever so often. Well, there were shoes in there that I haven't even seen for a good 2 years. What had started as a place to kick your shoes as to not wear them in the house had become a graveyard for abandoned shoes. I probably discarded about 50 pairs of shoes. After looking at the pile of unwanted shoes, I decided I needed to have a garage sale. Steve wanted to take everything down to our local charity (he doesn't like garage sales), but there was SO much that I decided I would have a garage sale by myself (Steve will be working). We are saving for a trip to Disneyland next year, so this will hopefully provide a nice chunk of change. So now my garage is very clean on the shelf side, since we moved all the garage sale stuff to the other side of the garage. We also cleaned out our linen closet where I still had crib sheets from Maree...she's been in a big girl bed for at least a year now! We cleaned out the cabinet next to the lined closet which housed slew of sewing paraphernalia (I don't sew) that my Mom had let me borrow in the hopes that I might learn. I used them to make baby burp rags, and 1 skirt..then gave up on my sewing endeavors. Anyway, I'm so pleased that all the doors now close all the way, and that there is a ton of room for other things that can't quite find a good home, like the 1000 picture frames I have....oye!
I'm exhausted today..I think the cleaning took about 10 hours! Plus I didn't sleep well because I think I had 8 shots of coffee throughout the day yesterday.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Maybe you are "nesting" for Kelly :)

That's how it is though....sometime you just have to tackle something like that when you have the motivation for it. Hope you make a lot with your garage sale!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think she is :-).

rk said...

How do you make the most mundane so stinkin funny? This is awesome. I painted all day yesterday, and all I could come up with is, I painted" if I were to post that. You are so so so funny. I need to go heat up my venti americano from five-bucks that I got yesterday and pick the paint brush back up. Maybe I'll thing of something funny. In the meantime, thanks for the great writing.

Kristen said...

Roxanne, I'm so glad I tickle your funny bone, because I don't generally crack myself up. Have fun painting!