Monday, July 21, 2008

Gone fishing....

Last weekend we had the pleasure of meeting some friends at a nearby lake, borrowing their parent's pontoon boat, and fishing on the lake. We had such a great time because the fish were biting like crazy, and they were small fish, so the kids could easily reel them in. We threw them all back, but it was still a lot of fun.
Yesterday we decided to go back to the lake and fish off the shore. My parents were in need of some fresh air :), so they joined us. They didn't know Steve had ideas about breaking trail and 4x4'ing through the woods over red clay dusk that thoroughly coated their white car (since they were following). They were troopers through, and we it was quite an adventure! Mom and Dad had decided not to fish on this trip, and were just going to relax (mom), and help the kids with their fishing endeavors (dad). We immediately noticed that the fish were not quite as voracious as they were last weekend...probably because of our location. We were just using worms as bait, but Dad thought I should try one of our fancy/pretty new lures. Since I'm a fishing amateur I have no idea what difference any of those things make. Dad set me up with a lure and the first cast I got hung up on some rocks (there were a lot of rocks). I handed the fishing pole to Dad because I didn't want to keep getting stuck on the rocks. Well, this is what Dad found...
okay, notice the bend in the pole and the splash....
Okay, it's a little hard to see and I didn't get a better shot of it, but it's about a 12" bass.
This may not seem exciting to you, but we had only been catching like 5 inch sunfish, and very small bass...I had no idea there were any bigger fish in this lake. So it was very exciting! And as an added surprise, when dad gutted the fish, there was a WHOLE crawdad in the fishes belly. I told dad that if he had only gutted the fish a little earlier, we might have saved that poor crawdad's life :).

Anyway, here are some more random pictures from yesterday..




Oh, and almost forgot to add. We went back to mom and dad's for dinner, and dad grilled up the fish he caught. Aaron was the first to sit down to eat and says "Poppa's fish is EXCELLENT". I, however, only had a very small bite. I like my fish frozen and vacuum packed from Costco with no bones :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is just awesome! What a fun afternoon and so glad mom and dad got in on the excitement! Love all your pictures!

Steve 'n Marie said...

So much fun, today we are looking for a boat so we can do serious fishing, watch out these senior parents are about to rev it up a notch.

rk said...

I absolutely love the pic.s. I am an Oregonian at heart. Grew up in the greater region. The slide show is very cool as well. I like things from Costco too!

Tiffany said...

I'm with ya on this one. The only fish I like is salmon and it has to have so much lemon and tarter sauce on it that you can't taste the salmon any more. Bass just wouldn't do it for me. Not that it would be allowed in our household anyway as Mike is a total catch and release fanatic.