Friday, July 18, 2008

Multi-tasking....or.. notsomuch

Today, similar to many other days, I try to get some household chores done. I'm not the kind of person who keeps an immaculate house at all times, it's just not a priority to me. I usually try to clean 1-2 areas a day, or at least keep the mess at a category 2 tornado. So when I find some down time during the day I will try to throw some laundry in, or clean the kids bathroom, or tidy up the kitchen. I've noticed though, that I start one thing, like walking to the laundry room intent on starting a load, but pass the kids bathroom and start cleaning in there...totally side-tracked from the laundry I was going to do. Then I'll check my email (as I do about 20x a day), and get caught up in some other project in my bedroom. Today the kids were begging to get in the pool, so I was going to get my book I'm reading (The Circle Trilogy, by Ted Dekker), my cell phone (it notifies me when I get a new email), and the house phone in case someone called. So I'm in the kitchen looking for the house phone and realize it's in our bedroom, so I walk down the hallway and see the laundry sitting there, and figure I could start a load real fast. Then I head back to the kitchen in order to proceed outside. Then I remember that I needed the phone, and where the heck had I put it after I'd gotten it out of the bedroom....oh yeah, I never made it to the bedroom. So, I go back to our bedroom and get the phone, but oh, while I'm in there, I might as well check my email...and I had a work email I needed to deal with, so I sit down and do that. 2 minutes later I'm walking back to the kitchen to proceed outside. Where is the dang phone??? Right, sitting on my desk in my bedroom where I had moved it from the bed. Back I go, to the bedroom, but by this time I was quite focused and slightly annoyed that I'm so easily distracted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so did the kids EVER get to swim with all that stuff you were doing inside :-)?

Kristen said...

Oh yes, the kids finally got to swim!!

rk said...

Motherhood.

It's not our fault.

Really.

It's motherhood.

Too much to do. To little time.

Makes us lose our mind.

But isn't it great!!!

Roxanne

www.sharingnotes.blogspot.com

Steve 'n Marie said...

Oh how I remember those days .Today they would call it ADD

Steve 'n Marie said...

It's all a part of our current cultural and sociatal requirments. Not so long ago, there would have been no cell phone to misplace or alert you or otherwise tether you to the wants and needs of the world. No email requiring your constant attention and care (lest you fall permanantly behind with 200 unread emails in your Inbox). So many choices...so many opportunities. Tasks, things, duties and the people we love all clamoring for your attention and time. Some important and many not. How to cope? How to prioritize? Keeping one's eyes on the Prize and knowing that sometime later you will be enjoying Lunch at Maungaturoto with loved ones.

Kristen said...

Thanks Dad, I had to read that twice to fully grasp what you were saying...and had to drink some coffee :)