Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yummy shrimp recipe

About 2 months ago I was browsing through one of my magazines, and came across a really tasty looking/sounding shrimp recipe. I proceeded to tear it out and stick it to my fridge. Now, I've torn MANY recipes out in the past, but I cannot recall EVER actually making one. The thing that was different about this recipe was that it was healthy, didn't have a huge list of ingredients, and most of the ingredients are things I keep on hand. Some of you already know that I'm not good using recipes. Well, when I bake I use recipes, but I almost never use recipes when cooking dinner type meals. Or I'll use a recipe as a reference and modify it or guesstimate amounts. I don't know why I don't like to use recipes.

Anyway, I actually made this recipe tonight, and OMG it was fantastic!!! I'm not a huge shrimp fan...so I like it when you can't taste any shrimp flavor. The kids also ate it, which was a big plus. Hubby said he liked it, and he had seconds of the shrimp...minus the "salad".

So, I'm sharing this recipe...not only so you can all try it, but also so I don't lost the recipe :)

This recipe is from Good Houseke*eping

Sauteed Shrimp on Warm Black Bean Salad

1 1/4 lbs large shrimp shelled and deveined
2 tsp. olive oil
1 lime
1 sm. onion chopped
1 med. red pepper, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 can (15 to 19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

1. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper. In 12-inch non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium x 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook about 6 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque throughout, stirring frequently.
2. Meanwhile, from lime, grate 1 tsp peel and squeeze 2 Tbsp juice; set aside.
3. Transfer shrimp to small bowl; cover with foil to keep warm. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp oil on medium x 1 minute. Add onion and red pepper, and cook 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in cumin; cook 1 minute. Add black beans, lime peel and juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook 3 minutes or until heated through. Spoon black bean mixture onto 4 dinner plates. Top with shrimp and any liquid in bowl; sprinkle with chopped cilantro. ***I squeezed more lime juice on top before serving :)

Each serving:
About 240 calories, 29 g protein, 24 g carbs, 5 gm total fat, 8 g fiber.



Enjoy

Oh, I'm going to Portland tomorrow with the kids to meet up with Auntie Deanna. Going to the zoo, shopping, eating...should be fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds so yummy! Have a great trip tomorrow and a great weekend. Thanks so much for bringing the coffee beans over...oh, and my 2nd IK of the day. Mmmmm...so good! xoxoxo

Lindsay said...

sounds delicious!!! I'm gonna try it.

John J. Kaiser said...

Too bad I'm allergic ;-(

http://totaltransformation.wordpress.com