Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Moderation is key....unless you're an all or nothing person like me

Last week was pretty much a free-for-all in the food department. After months and months of focusing on healthy eating to get in shape for Cabo, it was somewhat of a release to come home and not worry about what I ate at all. Except that I did worry about it, and I didn't feel great doing it. Eating like crap makes you feel like crap....at least in my case...yet I kept doing it because mentally I needed to (or something like that). Last year after Cabo I'm pretty sure I ate crummy for at least a month or something without working out. Not good.
So I'm really trying to focus on moderation. Not stressing about always eating "clean", but eating healthy most of the time, and allowing myself the occasional treat, all the while working out hard. I'm really not good at moderation because I am an "all or nothing" kind of person. I've tried the moderation method before and wasn't very successful. I find that one indulgence leads to 10...it's just a slippery slope. I wish I could be one of those people who wants to eat healthy all the time and never crave chocolate, mochas, ice cream, white bread, and cookies. However, I do enjoy all those things, so it's hard to tell myself I can't just eat them whenever I want.
Anyway, I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in 2 months. I had a great workout, and it was nice to do something different. I'm nice and sore today! I think I am going to try to incorporate the gym with the videos as to avoid getting bored with either one.

Also, just had to add that my MIL is here today to watch the kiddos while I work, and she walks in with a blouse I've had in my sewing cabinet for over a year. The blouse was too big, so I was trying to take it in with my Mom's Serger, but the Serger de-threaded (is that a word?) right as I was doing it, so it just left a big hole down the side. So, there the blouse sat, in the cabinet....until my dear MIL rescued it and fixed it for me!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Seriously, your MIL is an angel! How sweet.

I have kind of been in a funk with exercise and eating basically since the New Year. I probably averaged 1-2 workouts per week and didn't eat great. However, last week I got back on track and ran every week day and 2 days (so far) this week. All that to say I really identify with what you wrote. Sometimes you just need a break, but it does always feel good to get back on track. :)

Anonymous said...

Proud of you for getting back to the gym and making our family look good :-)!

Tiffany said...

Sergers are a royal pain in the butt when they dethread (yes, I think it is a word at least in my dictonary!). I have one and whenever it dethreads I know I've got hours ahead of me trying to get the thing up and running again.