Friday, February 8, 2008

My nationality??

Okay, if you haven't ever visited my sister's blog, now would be a good time, because what I am about to tell you totally coincides with what she just blogged about, and makes it even funnier. So before you read the rest of this post, you've got to go read her most recent post....then come back.




So, this morning I went to a little coffee shop to get a 1/2 pound of coffee to take on our trip, and also get some fresh homemade bagels there...so yummy. This is the conversation I had with the gal at the counter:

Girl: Do you want the bagels to go
Me: Yes....to go to Mexico ( I just can't help myself...)
Girl: Oh fun, are you leaving today?
Me: No, we are leaving first thing in the morning, and they don't feed you on the plane, so we figured we'd take some bagels with us.
Girl: Cool, are you going to visit family??
Me: uhhhhhhhhh ........................... No, just going on vacation

She must have thought I looked Hispanic. If my mind would have been working a little faster, I would have asked her so. It just so happens that the more tan I get in Mexico, the more the natives start speaking to me in Spanish because they think I am Hispanic. Turns out, I'm just a white girl with olive skin. Most of you know my sister is a blue eyed blonde with light skin. Yep, same parents...go ask them. My mom was asked many times if her daughters had the same father. Who asks that anyway???


Anyway, I thought it was hilarious. I've been asked so many times what my nationality is, and have been told that I look hispanic, greek, Mediterranean, italian...among others.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just us that thinks it's so funny :-)! Hola sista! Ummm...your picture isn't loaded or something's wrong with it-the one of you and Steve. There's just a skinny blank rectangle there and when I click on it it says "forbidden". Hmmm.

Kristen said...

Ya, I called Steve to share what the gal had said, and he was still waiting for the punchline after I said ...and she said "are you going to visit family" . He didn't get it.
The picture should work now. It didn't work before because it is a picture from your album, and I tried to paste the link...duh, it's password protected. So then I had to copy and paste onto another program, blah blah blah, so it should work now...although it's really small.

Anonymous said...

He's in work mode--not funny ha ha mode at this point. You should have told him on the plane tomorrow :-)!

Lindsay said...

I think it's really funny! Have a great vacation!!!

Tiffany said...

I'd say very rude people ask such a question!

You are gonna have a blast! Take lots of photos so you can post them later and we can live vicariously through you!

Kim said...

Oh, people ask me that all the time. Not if I'm Hispanic, but if my boys have the same father. Someone actually asked me once if my husband wanted a DNA test. Talk about rude!!!
You'll have a blast! I'll be thinking of while I am carrying in firewood......

Traci Morrow said...

HAVE FUN KRISTEN!!! :)

My oldest son, now 15, has BLUE BLUE eyes and as a baby had white blonde hair. Some hispanic women came up to me in the grocery store when he was about 15 months old and said "WOW....is the dad Chinese?" ?????? WHAT?!?!?! What did they see? Why did they say WOW? Why in the world would they be so shocked by his looks that they would say that?! Dont get it to this day.

Other than people just speak before they think. :)

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time in Cabo!! :) Cant wait to help you build your team when you return!!

Love!
TRACI :)

Anonymous said...

Ok girl, I am just now really checking out your blog and I am laughing at this post, because My mom and my aunt judy are the exact same way you two are!!!... My mom blonde hazel eyes and my aunt judy is dark olive skin and dark hair and dark eyes too. Same set of parent.lol too funny... I am glad you stopped by my blog and leaving that nice comment.... How has BFL been doing for ya?