Thursday, January 17, 2008

1 week closer

Well that week just flew by! Now there are only 23 days until Cabo. Yesterday we got a call saying that our flight home had been changed. Turns out that instead of getting home at 6:45pm, we now get in 4 hours later, and have a 4 hour layover in Phoenix. Was a little miffed about that since I booked the tickets (with the most minimal layover time) back in June. Oh well, not much we can do about it.
Workouts and eating have been good since Monday. I was going to take just Saturday as a free day, but then when we had the family dinner on Friday, sledding on Saturday, and a family lunch on Sunday, well, basically it was like 2 1/2 free days, although I didn't do nearly as bad as some of my free days. I did happen to get on the scale yesterday and was completely disappointed by the number. For one, I don't even know why I get on the stupid thing...well, that's not completely true...I just wish wish wish for a low number and if by chance it is low, then I feel great all day, and get a new wind of motivation. However, if it's higher than I had hoped, I get irritated, and go eat a bowl of cereal!!! Logically I know that scale weight is a horrible measure of what is really going on in one's body, but the only time I am really good at staying off of it is when I've been eating like crap.
Anyway, the workouts are still fun. I've been combining Power 90 sculpt workouts with Turbo Jam cardio workouts. Yesterday during the sculpt video I did a total of like 70 pushups, 27 of them were consecutively.
Steve has fallen off the Power 90 wagon as he "dislocated" his shoulder while sledding (2nd year that's happened). Speaking of sledding, during this ride where said shoulder was "dislocated", Steve was going down on the tube (big sledding tube with no hole in the middle) with little Maree. He thinks that he has more control going down on his stomach, laying on Maree. However, the place where we sled has 3 humps, so you can get some good air. So they start going down, hit the hump, fly through the air, land....and Steve is trying not to crush poor Maree underneath him, so he lands somewhat on his shoulder (hence the "dislocation"), and proceeds to roll OFF the tube leaving Maree to continue down the hill by her happy self. Mind you, she's not hanging on! Also, where we sled is not really a sledding hill, it's just a place we found one year after discovering the actual sledding hill was really crowded. So at our sledding hill, you have to either stop yourself before you get to a barbed wire fence, or well, hit the fence (not a good plan). Now when the adults go down, this is not really a problem because our feet reach off the tube, and you can slow yourself down at the appropriate time, and the first couple of times we went down, the snow was so powdery that the tubes just stopped. However, after packing down the snow after a few rides, the trail was getting faster and faster. So, here comes Maree down the hill by herself. If we had known she would be going down by herself we would have stood at the end to make sure to stop her before reaching the fence...however, we were no where close, so we stood there watching in slow motion, praying that she would not fly right into that fence. Luckily all was well, and she slowed down, and was SO exciting that she went down by herself! She thought it was great fun.
Soon after this event with Maree, Aaron had climbed to the top of the hill (quite a feat in itself), and was going to go down by himself. Steve as staged at the bottom to catch Aaron. Aaron got some great air on the jumps and was coming down FAST. Steve was standing in an area of the snow that had been sledding on several times, so it was all packed down. So Aaron is approaching Steve going faster than usual...and I'm thinking "oh dear Lord this is not going to end well". So Steve, doing his best to stop him, throws all his weight into the inner tube, stopping it in a heartbeat, meanwhile Aaron comes off the thing like a missile, flies through the air and lands up to his shoulders in the snow....with his feet in the air. Kind of like a cartoon. Steve yanks him out of the snow, and all I can see is snow sticking out of his ears. Anyway, he was okay, and eventually thought it was cool, although he asked Steve "why didn't you catch me". We then had to talk about the laws of physics etc.
Just to give you a better visual...here is a video of Steve on the same hill 2 years ago....

6 comments:

John J. Kaiser said...

"Now there are only 23 days until Cabo"

Sounds like some kind of weird holiday. Oh, wait, isn't it a vacation spot? HA!

Either way, happy Cabo! Or is it merry Cabo?

http://totaltransformation.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I had heard about the "dislocation" but not all the other fun details. So funny.

I'll take John's cue and wish you Feliz Cabo :-)!

ColeC said...

How exciting!!

Stay off that scale...go by how your clothes fit. The scale can sure do a mental number on our minds...not a good thing.

That's the problem with airlines...you just never know what to expect ;)

Carrie said...

Sledding is soo much fun! Our Morgan actually did hit the "fence" a couple of weeks ago- they were actually corn cob bales set at the end, after two hills, to keep kids from sliding into the street beyond. Glad that Maree stopped, because that stuff isn't fun (we were extremely lucky because Morgan had scratches all around her eye, but her eye was missed).

Jenna said...

lol....i was getting stressed reading about Maree ....then i watched the video ...lol Funny. I can hear him grunt as he hits the snow!!! Have fun in Cabo - I am up 1.8 pounds most of what I would say is bloat. Give me until Sunday and then I should be back where I was...and then...the real hard work starts - cause Appparetnly - I signed up to do ironman and I need to FOCUS!!!!!!

Lindsay said...

Haha, the sledding story made me laugh!

Way to go on working out and clean eating. Don't let the scale get you down. I haven't weighed myself for about 2 weeks. I have tried to get back into the routine after new Years and I'm not quite there yet. I only ran once this week cause it's so stinkin' cold out. I did do a video two other days though......just don't seem so motivated right now. Maybe I need a trip to Cabo, too :)