Monday, June 9, 2008

Nose in a book

When it comes to reading, I seem to go in waves...come to think of it, so does my fitness routines! Hmmm, I'll have to ponder that later. Anyway, for the last 2 weeks or so, I have been reading a Christian Fiction series by Liz Curtis Higgs (Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, Whence Came a Prince, and Grace in Thine Eyes). It all started when my dear friend Jen got me an Evangel gift certificate for my birthday. Being the avid (read: anal) online researcher that I am, I scoured Amazon in search of the perfect book. After writing down a list of all the books that looked interesting and had gotten great reviews, I marched myself down to Evangel full of hope. Alas, they had NONE of the books on my list. So then I had to find some other strategy for picking out the perfect book, which is a little tricky because I don't read the back of books before reading them. I feel like it gives to much away, and I don't like to know ANYTHING prior to opening a book. So I carefully thought about how I might pick out a good book, and settled on finding an author that had several books out, and then something with an intriguing cover. Forget the "don't judge a book by it's cover"...that's exactly what I did. After carefully checking the book to make sure it wasn't part of a series, and finding no evidence that it was, I purchased the book. I rushed home and checked on Amazon to see what the book was rated, and discovered 1) it was rated really well...yeah, and 2) is was #3 in a series...drat!!! Anyway, I went and bought #1 at another book store since Evangel didn't have it at the moment. About half way through DH said he was ordering a book from B*arnes and Noble, so he ordered the #2 book for me as well. That was the week where it was raining and dreary for days on end, and I think I read about 300 pages in one day. So then I was in a quandry because I finished the #1 book, but the #2 book wasn't expected in for 5 days. Thankfully B&N had #2 in stock and said they would let me return the one coming in the mail. I finished that and started #3 on Saturday, which I finished today (it's 537 pages long). Thankfully, when I returned the #2 book to B&N this morning they had JUST received the #4 book about an hour earlier. So, I gotta go.... I'm anxious to start the last book, but also sad that it's the last book. It is an amazing series.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I'd say I'd read them, but we all know I won't :-). I only start books; I don't finish them!

Theresa said...

You are right, your nose must be glued to the pages. So glad they are good.
I'm one that scans the back cover, I must see if it is going to be worth my time. I'm such a goof ball if I start a book it is very hard for me to put it down - even if I don't like it at all. That's the pits!
Gotta get outta that rut, especially because there are so many that do appeal to me ;) and you know I'm missing out if I'm reading that icky one!

Jennifer...aka: Jen or "MOMMM!" said...

Liz Curtis Higgs writes in the Christian Women magazine - she is HILARIOUS! I love her! I've decided my next vacation is going to be me sitting somewhere, drinking really good coffee and just reading book after book! Or even just one whole book!
You probably know this, but you can have E*vangel order you a book. It doesn't have nearly the appeal of buying it right off the shelf and racing home to read it, but it is a possibility. :)

John J. Kaiser said...

"When it comes to reading, I seem to go in waves...come to think of it, so does my fitness routines!"

you ain't the only one sister.

Hey, its about time you visited my blog again! ;-) Don't be such a stranger.

http://totaltransformation.wordpress.com