Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pilates

I'm really excited.... In November I am getting certified in BASI mat Pilates. What is Pilates you ask??
"Developed in the 1920’s by Joseph H. Pilates, this safe well rounded approach to exercise focuses on flexibility, core strength, a return of muscular balance, coordination, and improved posture. Since its beginning people have been experiencing amazing changes when they practice Pilates. The workout leaves their mind and body feeling stimulated, rejuvenated, and alert. They are stronger, more flexible, and more “connected” to their bodies."

I've been doing Pilates for the last several months, and awhile back I was addicted to a mat Pilates class at the YMCA. After taking a long Pilates break, I got back into it after having some neck pain that kept recurring from working at my computer. Pilates has been a huge help with my neck pain, and overall it just feels great. It's a very gentle, yet challenging type of workout.
There are so many different Pilates certifications, and some of them are a little scary. Just like becoming a certified personal trainer, you can go online and pay $49.99 and get "certified" for Pilates. That is NOT the kind of certification I am getting. I will be doing class time, student teaching, and taking both practical and written tests.
I really think that in the long run, this is going to be hugely beneficial for my neck issues and posture, and also really look forward to doing classes with my Mom and Grandma, who could both really benefit from this type of gentle but effective exercise.

Someday I may also get the full certification using the reformer and other Pilates equipment, but it costs A LOT of money, which I just can't justify at this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-)