Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Random thoughts

Last night after the kids were in bed, Steve and I watched the new show Wipe*Out. Initially, Steve had rolled his eyes at me turning the TV on as he was trying to read, but I could tell he was interested. Long story short, I have not laughed so hard at a TV show in a very long time, maybe never. I know, it's a little twisted that we're laughing at people bouncing like rag dolls off big rubber balls, but hey, they volunteered for it. I think what made the show was the commentary, which we found to be very witty.

Also, I haven't mentioned this before, but I've been meaning to. I've been going to a chiropractor for the last few weeks for some neck problems I am having from working at my computer. I've gone to a chiropractor before, but all he did when you would walk in is ask where it hurt, plop you down and crack your back...which sometimes left me breathless because it hurt so bad. I figured this may not be helping the problem. So I did some internet searching and found another chiropractor. This guy was pretty much the opposite of the other chiropractor. He didn't "crack" anything until the 3rd visit, and even then it was so mild in comparison that I wondered if he was really doing anything. He also uses a very interesting technique that I have named "voodoo magic" because I swear he's not doing anything. He has you lay face down on a chiro table, and he stands at the foot of the table and examines your foot length to determine if they are equal, then he pushes down on your right butt cheek *I'm not kidding* (I try not to clench...you know what I'm talking about), then he looks at your feet again, then he pushed up on the right cheek....repeat on left side. Then he makes a swirl motion on your sacral/lower back area, looks at feet, then swirls in the other direction. Apparently something is usually out of whack because he gets this little thumper thing out and "adjusts" your pelvis...basically it produces several thumps (for lack of a better way to describe it) to several key areas on your pelvis. He does this pushing up and down thing on multiple areas of your body, then looks at your foot length. Mind you he is pushing very very gently so I still can't figure out what my feet have to do with it, but I know that this is an actual method they teach in some chiropractor programs. At one of these sessions, I was telling him that it was my left neck/clavicle area that was really bothering me, which he seems to rarely address even though this has been the key area of discomfort since the beginning. So he is doing his whole voodoo ritual, and starts doing the same thing on my clavicle area. When he pushed down on one area of my clavicle, then checked my feet, he said "oh, there's the problem", and then got the thumper out and "adjusted" my clavicle. It's bizarre to say the least. I try not to giggle while he is doing it (it's good that you're face down), because it just seems so strange. All that being said, my neck has somewhat improved since going to him, but I'm not entirely sure it's just from his "adjustments" or if it's because I've been going to Pilates as well. The best part of the visits is that you get like a 5 minute mini massage each time, which is like a mini vacation. I love it.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Don'tcha just love those shows...they are like bad accidents...you want to look away but you just can't make yourself. Or a too-scary movie where you peek out between your fingers from the hand covering your face.

Kristen said...

I SO watch scary movies (or anything that eludes to scariness) through my fingers, or over the top of my pillow

carla said...

my husband LOVED that show.

Im more a FLIPPING OUT woman myself.

MizFit, who is all about the 5 minute minivacations.

Steve 'n Marie said...

qYour chiropractic treatment, based on the length of your legs and an imbalance of the sacroiliac, is nothing new. I provided a similar treatment for my Dad all through my teen years. I'm cheap, it doesn't involve cheek accupressure and it works. Call me for special discount rates.

Kristen said...

Dad, somehow I fear that this would involve hanging me by my toes, or jumping on my back, neither of which sound very comforting....but may be more effective that cheek acupressure?? I'll let you know.