Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Delicious new discovery

Tonight after work I had to drag the kids and myself to the grocery store for some much needed supplies. The kids had eaten dinner while I finished working, which left me hungry....never good while grocery shopping right. So I'm perusing the health food section, and came across this cooler thing full of these TV dinners. The pictures looked much more interesting that the regular TV dinners so I took a closer look. The had the word "health" listed on the front as well as "USDA organic", which made me even more interested. So I bought a couple because the nutritional data looked pretty good, and sometimes it's just nice to have a quick meal on hand. So I get home and pop the thing in the microwave per directions, and pull it out and take the plastic cover off. Well, it definitely did NOT look like the picture, in fact it didn't look all that appetizing at all. I let it cool down a bit while I finished unloading groceries. OH.MY.GOODNESS...this thing was downright tasty, delicious....best "TV dinner" I've ever had, bar none.

They are called "Helen's Kitchen", and the flavor I had was Thai Yellow Curry. Seriously it was delicious, and not in the ..well it's okay for a TV dinner type of way. It is made with tofu, which in my book is a better way to go then frozen reheated chicken. You so cannot tell it's tofu...it just tastes yummy.
Here are the nutrition facts:
Calories: 280
Total fat: 4.8g
Sodium: 390
Total Carbs: 30
Fiber: 2gm
Sugar 1gm
Protein 12g
Vitamin A: 40%
Calcium: 30%
Vitamin C: 25%
Iron: 15%

It is a pretty small portion, but perfect size if you are aiming for 5-6 meals a day. They were only $2.99 where I bought them, and I'm seriously considering going down tomorrow to buy all of them because I've never seen them anywhere else, and this is not a grocery store I frequent regularly. I also bought a hearty bean chili with veggies and tofu, so I'll let you know if it's as good as the Thai Yellow Curry.
Also, I had 5 things on my grocery list and came out with $105 worth of groceries...how does this happen?!? :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find them? I'm thinking postpartum meals, etc? Sounds yummy.

See, the key is making the list but knowing it's just a guideline. I'm always guaranteed to be reminded of things I need when I see them or find fun new things like you did!

Alina said...

Helen's Kitchen is actually made by a lady in California named Helen, she has a website for her products at www.helensfoods.com and they have a store locator button where I found stores in my LA region to go to. I buy their Indian Curry and Cheese Enchiladas at my local Wholefoods, these are my favorite Helen's Kitchen Meals, but I like the Thai Yellow Curry as well.

Kristen said...

Alina, yes I saw the website, and emailed them to say how much I enjoyed their product, and now they are going to mail me coupons..yeah! Apparently they are also doing a demo at the grocery store I bought them at (Food 4 Less), on Saturday.

Steve 'n Marie said...

I went to Food4Less in the morning of April 5 and was there until 1100,waiting...for Helen. I saw the table where she would handing out samples. I came back a few minutes later and saw the microwave where she would "cook" my sample...but no Helen. Having other errands to run, I left the store. However, I had reasons to return later in the day (prematurely moldy unopened cheese, which I had been complaining about since our return from NZ). Returning at about 3PM, I grabbed my replacement cheese and headed to the "health food" section to see Helen and sample her wares. Alas, the table was gone...the microwave was gone and Helen had departed...or...had Helen ever really been there? Perhaps it had all been a cruel hoax. What disappointment...what frustration...what a mystery. Does Helen really exist?...does she travel about the counryside dispensing samples of her dinners?...did she really come to Food4Less in Medford Oregon to hand out samples...we will never really know.

Kristen said...

Well, I may have failed to mention that Helen herself would not be making an appearance, but Judy would. You must have just missed them as they said it would be 4-5 hours between 11-12 and 3-5. Must have been a bit shorter. I heard you did buy some though, so I'll be interested in hearing what you think.

Steve 'n Marie said...

Well, you're right of course...I had to try some so I got two of the Thai curry and two of the Indian curry and cooked one of each last night. I had the Indian and M. had the Thai...and we tested each other's dish. Both were very good (like homemade if I made such dishes)but I would give the nod to the Thai. I will try the enchiladas in the near future. It will become an option on our vegetarian dining days.