Friday, April 18, 2008

Busy Busy

I feel like a blog delinquent as of late because I haven't had as much time to check blogs and to blog myself. We've had some rearrangements at work which have made things a bit busier, which is actually a good thing, but an adjustment none-the-less. The weather has also been pretty nice (off and on), so we've been spending more time outside.
So here is some randomness...

Have you ever remembered something your parents told you when you were a child, that stuck with you throughout your life. Well, this is nothing profound, but I've always remembered it. I have always liked hot drinks like coffee/tea. My Mom has always been an avid tea drinker, and I grew up enjoying tea as well. When I was a teenager an espresso business started in my home town (Dutch. Bros), and I loved getting the really sweet espresso drinks like caramel mochas, or some other sugary drink. Well around that time I remember my Dad telling me that someday I would be drinking black coffee, and I thought, nah...gross! Well Dad, you were right. It's been a slow progression over the years, going from sugary coffee, to just cream in my coffee, to Americanos with cream, to just Americanos. Now for all you non coffee drinkers, and Americano is basically very strong coffee. For about the last year I've been making Americanos with a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 with our espresso machine. One day I made my regular coffee (3 shots, then hot water, and the cream) except I accidentally omitted the cream. Well when you make espresso right you get a nice layer of caramel colored crema at the top, plus when I add the hot water it creates another layer of bubbles on the top. I started drinking the coffee and thought it tasted a little different, but still thought it was good. It was only when I was half way finished with it that I could see that it was black coffee. Ever since then I've just made it black ...saves me a step in my pre-coffee grogginess!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black coffee drinkers are wrong! :-) I do remember being at some restaurant in our teens with Dad and him telling you that and I have never forgotten it either. Unfortunately, it must have been directed at you because I don't seem to be moving up the coffee ladder. Love my Iced Kickers :-). Happy, Happy 32nd Birthday to you yesterday :-)--just kidding blog readers, she just turned 31.

Lindsay said...

Yes, I was thinking of you yesterday, too. Hope you had a Happy Bday!

I am still not there with the black coffee thing. I need a bit of sweetness and milk. Maybe someday....when I grow up :)

Steve 'n Marie said...

I am a prophet in my own mind. I also (and often) told your sister that if she treated you nicely, you two would be the best of friends some day. Dad

Anonymous said...

I've never been a real coffee drinker, but I have a certain fondness to hazelnut iced coffee [just recently]. I don't know if I'll ever be the one to brew a pot of a morning, but I like the yummy stuff every now and then!

Theresa said...

Yay!! Black coffee.....yum :D Good to have you join the ranks. I only have the others rarely.