Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Instant gratification...or not so much

For the last several months I've had the itch to re-paint my bedroom, and to also get rid of the behemoth of a computer armoire I have, which is just a huge, cheap, eyesore. I work from home and have my "office" in our bedroom, so I spend a LOT of time in there. It was previously painted red (on 1 wall) and tan in a Tuscan inspired (I use that reference lightly), as I am SO not good at decorating!! When I first painted I still had mismatched furniture...hand-me-downs and such, so painting was my only way of sprucing up the room. A little over a year ago we bought a whole new bedroom set, which I just love, yet the room was still the same...the curtains were never quite right, the computer armoire was still ugly, and the bedding...well I just couldn't find the right one. So ANYWAY, this weekend I finally decided what I wanted to do, and decided it was time to do it. My poor husband actually said that he would rather have a root canal with no anesthetic than to have to paint, so you can imagine his joy at my stating I wanted to re-paint our room. I'm sure he was trying to figure out a way to be conveniently called to work during his wife's crazy painting whim. When I decide I want to do something, I want to do it NOW..as in yesterday. I am very determined. Saturday Steve was just not going for the painting idea, and since it was such a beautiful day outside, we just relaxed and enjoyed the sunshine. Then Sunday rolled around, and we were planning out the day, and he mentioned wanting to do some paper mache with the kids, but he needed some glue...so I say...Hey why don't we go to Home Depot...and then I can also "look" at some paint.
Side note: the Home Depot in Phoenix is just great. The guy (Ron) that helped us with the paint was awesome with the kids...he let them help with every step of the paint mixing/shaking etc.

So we decided on a paint color (so scary), and head home. We cleared out all the clutter in our room, and started prepping. Then started putting primer on the one red wall. Ron at Home Depot had mentioned that he put twice our paint color in the primer....not sure why...maybe to help with covering the red wall. Anyway, so the primer starts going up...and I really like the color...and am then starting to worry that the actual paint color (which will be twice as light) will be too light. Long story short...I stare at both colors on the wall from every angle...call a good friend who is a genius at home decorating, and ask if she can come over to give an opinion. She and hubby come over (both with good decorating sense), and stare at all angels at both colors ......while Steve diligently continues to paint. Steve liked the lighter paint color...so he says, although I think he would have said anything as to avoid any additional painting. So we watch and compare...him and hah. I think if Steve had stopped painting then I would have had him go down to Home Depot and had the paint colored darkened...but he just kept painting......and painting. So pretty soon our friends leave, and I just feel bad, so I continue to paint as well. Then, guess what I start to really like the paint color. And now the whole room is done and I LOVE it. So yeah!

So, along with the new paint color, I had decided I definitely needed new bedding. I hardly ever make our bed (sad I know...bad and sad)..because our bedding is just so pathetic. The cat sleeps at the end of the bed, and the bedspread has shrunk after repeated washing...and the the cat has snagged it...so it's just not pretty...so why make the bed (that's my philosophy at least...and maybe I'm just lazy). So I found this great bedding on Kohls.com that I just loved. It is black and white..which is the look I was going for, but not too busy to cause a headache. However, Kohls.com didn't have a queen available...but when I did a goo*gle search for the bed set, it popped up on Ebay......perfect I thought!! So I watched the bedding set for 4 days...didn't bid on it, because I thought I would bid at the very last minute and get a good deal on it. So the day the auction is set to end, is the same day we are finishing up the painting...and also taking the behemoth of a computer armoire out of the room....while also disconnecting the computer. So we set the kitchen timer to 5 minutes before the auction is set to end...perfect amount of time to swoop in there and win the auction without the other people being able to out bid you. Ya, well, that would have been a perfect plan, had we not closed our bedroom door with the music on, and furiously painted in order to get it done before 10pm. I suddenly realize that it was about time for the auction to end...and go into panic mode, seeing that the kitchen timer has already gone off (without us hearing it)...the my laptop won't connect to the computer (because my computer is totally disconnected), and so I call my sister frantically, seeing if she can get online and see if the auction is over. It was. Booo hoooooo!!!!! I was so mad at myself. The bedding sold for the same price it was at when I had first started looking at it...so cheap! I should have just bid on it. Lesson learned! You cannot find the bedding ANYWHERE! I've called several Kohls stores, and they don't have it, and don't know if it's been discontinued or not. Pooh! The guy at the Kohls customer service said to call back in a MONTH to see if they were getting more stock. Um, hello, do you know who you are talking to.....I'm a woman...I needed it yesterday!!

So, I wait.

There is only one other set I really like, but it is twice as much....

But I really like my paint color :) Whew! Good thing too, because there ain't no way my DH would be helping me RE-paint the bedroom.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Funny story Kristen!! so sorry about your bedding :( So, what color are your walls now??

Craig and I have totally different approaches to painting...he's the perfectionist, I'm the slap it on and get it done, don't bother to even lay out drop cloths. :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Please post a picture, NOW, because I'm a woman, too, and I can't wait until Friday to see it :-).

Kristen said...

Lindsay, posted pictures for you.
Steve is the perpetual planner when it comes to projects. He wants everything carefully thought out and organized before starting, which generally means, nothing gets started until the dear wife (me) starts doing things herself....and since I don't do things "right", then he will start helping :)