Sunday, September 14, 2008

Am I standing straighter yet?

The last 4 days have been filled with anatomy lessons, Pilates demonstration, and actually doing Pilates moves. I had NO idea that the certification I was getting was as in depth as it is....which I am thrilled about. The faculty member from BASI (Body Arts and Science International) that we had, Meredith, was incredibly smart and really knew her stuff. She had a beautiful Pilates body and performed the exercises with perfection. We went from the basic mat moves on Thursday to the advanced moves today...wow, that was challenging!! In the next month I need to memorize each exercise, what muscles it focuses on, what the objectives of the exercise are, and how to make sure my students (and myself) are doing it correctly, and how to cue them to do so. I feel like I am getting a degree in Pilates. Did you know that you can get "certified" in Pilates for $49.99 in just 45 minutes online....seriously, I just looked. After learning what I have in the last 4 days, that is just really scary. You can really hurt yourself and your clients if you do not know how to do the exercises correctly. Oh, and I'm not done yet, I still have to do observation hours, student teaching hours, and I have a practical test to pass in October....and I'm only getting certified to teach mat classes. Anyway, I've got a lot of work to do, and a lot of practice too. I am recruiting friends to be my Pilates guinea pigs....

I am sitting up straighter today though...doing Pilates makes you so much more aware of your posture and how you are carrying your body...always a good thing!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guinea pig, right here...only 2 weeks to go and I'll be ready :-)...and hopefully motivated. This muffin top is heading south in a hurry and I have to fight it fast! Sign me up, Pilates Teacher. I do get the sister discount, right?

Kristen said...

Kelly, you get a HUGE discount! We'll start next week during our campout...with very gentle moves.

BTW, you're up too late, you should be in bed young lady!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the beginning of your Pilates training! You should have a huge advantage with your RN background. Next week you can show me some moves.

Kristen said...

Kathy, I'm not sure how many moves I can actually do correctly....
We also had a physical therapist and a chiropractor in the class getting certified. I felt sorry for those with no medical background because it's a LOT of anatomy to learn.

Steve 'n Marie said...

How about an investment in you Mom as well, better now than later,

Anonymous said...

My bedtime is at midnight. :-)

I'll be ready for some gentle training next week. I'm excited! I can't think of a better teacher/trainer than you!

Kristen said...

Mom, you're one of the main reasons I am getting certified. You better believe I'm putting you to work!!