Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Some yummy food discoveries

I have found that sometimes it is hard to find fast/wholesome food, as I don't always like eating chicken/fish etc. So here are some things that I have found that are nutritionally good, and really tasty too.

First: MorningStar Spicy Black Bean Burgers
With just 140 calories per burger and a near equal protein/carb ratio, they are a great lunch time meal. I put them in the toaster so they get a little crispy on the outside. I like to eat them with a little low fat cheese, and fresh garden tomatoes...yummy!!

Speaking of cheese, I really do not like the fat free cheeses that are on the market now. They don't melt, and they are just weird. However, I have discovered a fat free feta cheese that is actually really good, and I don't really care for regular feta cheese. I got President Fat Free Feta, California Tomato and Basil . It has 30 cal per oz, with 6gms of protein and less than 1 gm of carbs. It is super delicious on the above Spicy Black Bean Burger.

The third thing I have come to really enjoy is Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt . I had a really hard time finding this in my town, and had to go 30 minutes away to a Co-op to find it. It is much higher in protein than regular yogurt, is also lower in carbs, and has no artificial anything in it. It has the consistency of sour cream almost, and it isn't flavored. Last night I had it with some delicious fresh diced peaches.

The 4th thing I really like is the MorningStar Sausage Patties (I really like MorningStar products!) . One patty has 80 calories, 3gm fat, a whopping 10gms of protein and 3 carbs. The last few mornings I have nuked one patty, toasted an organic whole wheat english muffin, cooked 1 whole egg and 1 egg white, and had breakfast sandwiches. Very tasty!!

The 5th thing I am excited about is Torani sugar free peanut butter syrup. I love peanut butter, but putting it in my protein pancakes, protein shakes etc, can add quite a few calories..especially if I have already had enough healthy fats for the day. I haven't actually tried the syrup yet, as my dear sister just got it for me yesterday. It smells yummy though!!

Okay, now I'm really hungry....gotta go eat!!

3 comments:

Rainbowbunny14 said...

WOW LOVE YOU PAGE

Lindsay said...

MMMMmmmm, sounds good, I will have to look for some of those items.

My newest thing (which I am really into) is Kraft's fat free Oriental toasted sesame salad dressing. If you've ever had an oriental chicken salad at Applebee's, it tates just like that dressing. If you're into the oriental thing, it's GOOD! :)

Scott Hidalgo said...

Ok, here's one of my favorite products. I love peanut butter, as in the real thing, but I'm always looking for better options.

There is a product out there called Naturally More that is peanut butter that has less fat, fewer calories, more protein, and flax seed oil added to bump up the nutritional profile.

It's not a huge calorie savings, I think 169 calories instead of 200, but there's lots of good stuff put into it and it's still real peanut butter, unlike some of the fake peanut butters.

Try it instead of regular peanut butter. You can find it at all of the health food stores, but my local Wal-Mart has started carrying it and it's much cheaper there.