Monday, August 20, 2007

Protein Pancakes...sounds gross...tastes FANTASTIC


One of the other fabulous discoveries I've made while doing BFL has been protein pancakes. It's amazing how good these are...and as an added bonus, they are really good for you. Make sure you have a good blender though, or even better, a food processor. Here is a list of the different varieties you can make. I prefer the banana ones because I always have bananas on hand, and I love the banana flavor. I have not tried all of the varieties, and I never use baking powder.
Anyway, you NEVER taste the cottage cheese...even people who despise cottage cheese can't believe how much they love these pancakes. If you make them, make sure to cook them on a lower setting than you would regular pancakes, because they are more dense and it takes longer for the middle to cook through, otherwise they tend to be a little mushy in the center. Make a big batch, put 2-3 (depending on size) into a freezer bag, and throw in the freezer. Then when you need a quick meal/snack, put them in the toaster or microwave. Top with a bit of natural peanut butter or spray butter and some sugar free syrup....or nothing at all, your choice. ENJOY!!

Banana: Serv 4. 12 egg whites, 1.5c dry oats, 2c cottage cheese, 1/2c mashed banana (about 1 lg. banana), 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, cinnamon, vanilla.

Pumpkin: Serv 1, 4 egg whites, 1/4c dry oats, 1/2c cottage cheese, 4tbs pumpkin puree (1/4c), 1/4tsp baking powder, pumpkin pie spice (or all spice), splenda to taste.

Blueberry: Serv 1, 3 egg whites, 1/4c dry oats, 1/2c cottage cheese, 1/4c blueberries (fresh only), 1/4ysp baking powder, splenda.

Strawberry: Serv 2, 6 egg whites, 3/4c dry oats, 1c strawberries (fresh only), 1/2tsp baking powder, splenda & vanilla.

Apple or Pear Cinnamon: Serv 4, 16 egg whites, 1.5c dry oats, 2c cottage cheese, 1.5c chopped apple (about 1 lg), 1tsp baking powder, splenda, cinnamon.

Peach Pie: Serv 2, 6 egg whites, 3/4c dry oats, 1c cottage cheese, 1 sm. peach - about 3/4c), 1/2tsp baking powder, dash of nutmeg, vanilla & splenda.

Lemon Poppyseed: 1/2c Cottage Cheese, 1/2c dry oats, 4 egg whites, 1/4c splenda, 1tbs poppy seeds, 1/4tsp lemon oil (not extract nor juice - must be oil), 1/4tsp baking powder.

Raspberry Almond: Serv 1, 1/2c Cottage cheese, 1/3c dry oats, 3 egg whites, 1/4c splenda, 1/2c raspberries, 1/4tsp almond extract, 1/4tsp baking powder.

Chocolate: Serv 1, 1/3c dry oats, 2-3tbs cocoa, 4 egg whites, 1/2c cottage cheese, 1/3c splenda, 1/4tsp baking powder, a splash of vanilla. **Blend the oats into a powder. Add cocoa, then add everything else on top (otherwise the cocoa will go everywhere). Blend and cook like the rest. You may need to add a bit of water if it gets too thick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum...I really have to try these one of these days. I have the recipes taped inside our baking cupboard for crying out loud!

Shane Leighton Photography said...

Hi Kristen, was just looking thru blogger looking for other BFL'ers and came accross your blog. I will be following your progress!

Carrie said...

I also wrote this in the comments of my blog, but I thought I'd post it here too so you see it. By the way, I also love protein pancakes! My absolute faves are the ones from Eating for Life, with a little extra cinnamon and sometimes blueberries mixed in.
---
Here's the response (thanks for posting in my blog!)

Kristen, kudos to you for joining a karate class! I got my black belt five years ago, and it's been calling me back ever since. Jumping rope is one of the best ways to do HIIT, since cheating doesn't get one very far. I've been practicing, once upon a time one of my goals was to jump for 5 minutes straight without tripping up. I never made it past 3 ;).

I am also a past BFLer and still live off Eating for Life and the tenets that I learned from BFL. It's always good to meet another, although I noticed on Skwigg's blog that you were starting to look at moving past it. I also highly recommend Afterburn. I didn't quite have the results Skwigg had, but that's because my nutrition stinks in comparison to hers!