Sunday, January 4, 2009

Starting tomorrow...

I am such a nut job. My relationship with food is odd. I do not consider myself an emotional eater, but once I am off the proverbial wagon, I am WAY off. As in, let's eat every bad thing that is within reach because I know when the new year starts I'll start eating healthier. I am going to start going back to the gym because this is what I am most consistent at. Working out from home is good in theory, but I just have a hard time implementing it on a daily basis. Plus, I think for me being home most of the day every day, getting out to go somewhere (even the gym) is exciting. I'm actually looking forward to using the Stair Mill again (the machine with the rotating stairs)....it is my favorite cardio machine, and I've missed it these last several (8 or so) months.
Tomorrow I also start teaching a new Pilates class for the community college. I'm trying to look forward to it...right now I'm just nervous and tired just thinking about it.
I've ordered the new book by Tom Venuto "The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscles, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight". Tom is a very well respected voice in the fitness industry, so I think it's going to be a useful tool. I also ordered a Wii game called My Fitness Coach, which has gotten good reviews on Amazon, so I think it will be fun. Have you noticed that I need a LOT of variety in my workouts. Mostly though I just need to get my head in the game and think of this as life long healthy living, not a diet or a lose weight fast plan. I just need to eat healthy and exercise. How hard is that??? Seriously, for me it's 90% mental, and it takes a lot of focus to keep my head in the right place. I wish I were one of those people who just craved vegetables, and loved drinking spinach smoothies, and loved to get up at o'dark thirty every morning to get a workout in. I guess I just need to remind myself I'm worth it, and it's never going to be easy.

My plan is to eat the way I know I need to, not with any set diet plan or rules, but I did Body for Life long enough that I know what healthy eating consists of. I won't be counting calories, but will attempt to eat 5-6 small meals a day consisting of about 250 calories each. I need to drink WAY more water than I have been lately. I will be having a free day once a week, because this keeps me sane and generally increases the likelihood of my success. I will be doing interval cardio combine with some combination of Turbulence Training style weight lifting, as well as trying to get more Pilates in for myself.

I have a specific weight I would like to get to, but more than that I need to decrease my body fat a LOT! I bought new running shoes, which I hope to use on the days I can't make it to the gym.

Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen, you're awesome, you can do it, and life will continue on. I am the same food nut job you are, and for me it's becoming more of a health issue...apparently I'm not as healthy as I envision according to my doc. Darn him. Anyway, I'm here to cheer you on! Oh, and you're going to do awesome teaching Pilates. I only didn't do it because I just couldn't justify being away from home two nights a week when little Ben just loves (prefers) me so much. You're going to do so great!

John J. Kaiser said...

You should check out the diet I am on. It is intense, but produces big and fast results.